From a top 2 local player into the clear #1 on the Polish market and top-6 ROSCO in Europe
After Abris investment, CARGOUNIT, with a diversified fleet of almost 180 mainline electric and diesel shunting locomotives, became the leading provider of tailor-made solutions for the leasing of locomotives on the Polish market, itself the second largest rail freight market in Europe.
Key strategic drivers
- Ambitious fleet expansion through acquisitions, sale-and-leaseback, and selective purchases to become the unquestionable national leader (3.1x growth in fleet size)
- M&A during first years of holding period to consolidate market share, expand and diversify client portfolio, and benefit from economies of scale
- Expansion of service offering through dry/soggy/wet lease, modern locos, shunters and passenger units
Key operational drivers
- Governance transition from a founder-led organization to an independent management with divisional support
- Implementation of ESG policy and procedures
- Introduction of best-in-class asset maintenance procedures focused on maximized utilization
- Rigorous investment process governed by IRRs
- Implementation of dedicated IT fleet management system
- Introduction of ECM fleet management & safety standards
Abris sold its stake in Cargounit to Three Seas Initiative Investment Fund (advised by Amber Infrastructure Group).